Friday, February 25, 2011

Making a Mosaic Table


Mosaics are very easy to do, creative and fun. Few tools are necessary and for the most part the craft itself is pretty inexpensive. I warn you now.........it's addictive.
You can use:
  • broken plates
  • glass
  • broken tiles
  • beads
  • pieces of metal, copper, silver or brass
You can make a completely random design or plan it out by drawing it out first. You basically need a surface to work on, usually something rigid and free of dirt or grime. Examples: clay pots, wood (seal it first), a cement slab, glass or even ceramic.
Tools and supplies:
  • Welbond is a great adhesive that most professionals use. The craft stores also carry tile adhesive especially made for mosaics. I've also used Elmers white glue and that worked fine for me.
  • Tile nippers. You can find these at Home Depot, Lowe's or craft stores like JoAnn's & Michael's.
  • Your broken tile or glass. I'm lucky in that I have tons of glass at home that I cut myself into any shape. I checked on Ebay and many people sell little glass squares of glass by the pound. They seem to run about $10.00 and up for a pound or two. You can also get an old thrift store plate, a towel and a hammer. Place your towel over the plate and smash away. This technique can also be used with tiles.
  • Grout- I buy in the home improvement store. It comes in many colors so take your pick.
The way that I create a mosaic is to place a drop of glue on my surface then place my glass or tile square onto it. When my entire piece is all dry I then grout my entire piece.


This piece I recently finished for my good friend for her birthday. I thought she would like this to put out on her porch. The design is totally random. I placed the flower pieces in the middle and just randomly placed the rest of the glass tile around until I came to the end where I placed a border.




I decided to make a table in this case so before applying any tile I sprayed the pine with a sealer first. I learned this lesson years ago after making a larger table mosaic. A few days after it was completed it warped like a potato chip. Apparently the water that was in the grout absorbed into the wood. You live and learn..............................

No comments:

Post a Comment