Monday, February 28, 2011

New Type of Effusion Lamp wicks!

If you read this blog on a regular basis, I'm sure you must be thinking that I dropped off the face of the earth. Actually, I'm still here and working on a number of projects. I've spent most of the past month trying to get organized-a never ending project in itself. FYI-I'm still not organized and probably will never be, but I do try.

I've been writing this blog now for several years and the most common email I get is always about effusion lamps. I know why-they can be tricky. The wicks burn out, clog up or the scent doesn't smell up the house, etc, etc. I've done so much research on these lamps that I really feel I finally know what I'm talking about.

I was surprised to get an email from Carol a few weeks ago. She was having some problems with her effusion lamp and needed some advice. She surprised me by mentioning a new wick that she is using-which I had never heard of. I seriously don't even know how long the have been around. These wicks have no stone either...... hummmmmmmm......this is soooo interesting. It starts instantly, which saves on fuel, and eliminates the 5 minute (sometimes scary) lighting of the stone. Called the "Platinum Wick", it can't clog or flood. It fits all types of effusion lamps and retails for about $14.95, depending on where you look. My only question would be: how long will it last? I can't answer this yet, but I will let you know.

I ordered mine from here because the price was right and they offered free shipping. I've had it for two weeks and I burn it everyday, so we'll see how it goes. Below are some step by step photos and a good look at the wick.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
To start off: here is the wick, right out of the box.
Below is the lamp filled 1/2 up with fuel. Remember, don't fill over 1/2 way up-these lamps need oxygen to work. Pop in the wick and leave it for 10 minutes.



































Above: the wick. Looks like something that goes over a chimney. Notice there is no stone with these new wicks. The stone is replaced with a metal grate that heats up during the process.




 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Here is the wick being lit.

Here is the flame that is created. You keep the wick lit for 30-35 minutes, a little flame appears for a few seconds and then you blow it out! The metal grate gets hot and the smell starts almost immediately. It's a big difference from the old stone wicks. I still like them and use them, but this new one appears much safer to use.

So there you have it. A new type of wick for the effusion lamps.

Here is my original post on effusion lamps which includes history, information and the fuel recipe.

FYI-I have purchased so many nice and inexpensive effusion lamps at this store in the local mall. Check their site and see if there may be one by you.

No comments:

Post a Comment